Fire Prevention Week

Fire Prevention Week

NORFOLK – It’s fire prevention week and officials are giving tips to be safe during the start of winter.

The Norfolk Fire Department is stressing the importance of utility maintenance before colder weather arrives in the area.

Norfolk Fire Marshal Terry Zwiebel says checking your heater, radiators and getting a carbon monoxide detector is a good idea before turning on the heat the first time this winter.

“The way it feels outside right now, if you are going to be running your heater here shortly, make sure that it is operating correctly that the vent is in good shape. If it’s a gas, fire type unit, make sure everything is operating correctly so one, it’s going to be efficient and two, it’s going to be more safe and you’re not going to possibly get carbon monoxide in the house.”

Fire prevention goes beyond the winter weather and officials say, there are many more ways you can prevent an accidental fire.

Discarded cigarette butts, space heaters and faulty electrical outlets are all regular culprits in how fires can start, and places homeowners can be more vigilant.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share:
Comments