COLUMBUS – The Columbus Police Department says that the death of a 31-year-old Columbus man was caused by a drug overdose.
According to a statement made by the Columbus Police Department, officers were dispatched to an apartment building on July 5, regarding the apparent death of the 31-year-old man. An investigation determined that the man was in possession of a controlled substance called Fentanyl, and his death was caused by an overdose of the drug.
Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that has been used as a pain killer for medical purposed for may years. Over the last few years, there has been a national trend of using Fentanyl for recreational drug use.
The police say that in the instance of the Columbus man’s death, the Fentanyl was mixed with Heroin, and the product was probably sold as Heroin. Street level dealers have also been known to mix Fentanyl with drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, and ecstasy.
Police say that the City of Columbus has equipped all first emergency responders with Naloxone opioid inhibitors, which can block the effects of Fentanyl and other opioid drugs. If you feel that you are suffering from an overdose of opioids, it is of utmost importance to seek medical attention immediately.