LINCOLN – Some $7 million is at the financial heart of a massive conspiracy, involving the exploitation of 133 immigrants, mostly here illegally, according to a 14-page federal indictment that criss-crosses Nebraska, Minnesota, and Las Vegas.
The conspiracy was ripped apart in a series of raids by federal ICE agents in north east and north central Nebraska, raids first reported by News Channel Nebraska.
The government says 13 persons were arrested while four others are still on the run.
The 17 are accused of money laundering and bank fraud to hide a nearly four-year-long operation that used threats of deportation to keep the illegal immigrants in-line and working for low wages.
According to the indictment, three ring-leaders, two hispanic aliens and one hispanic born in the U.S., used fake names and social security numbers to hide the workers identities as the trio acquired over $5.5 million in illegal proceeds.
The indictment also says money was withdrawn from the illegal workers’ paychecks. They were told it was for federal taxes.
Those indicted include:
- JUAN PABLO SANCHEZ DELGADO, a/k/a “Pablo,”
- ANTONIO DE JESUS CASTRO, a/k/a “Tony”
- MAGDALENA CASTRO BENITEZ, a/k/a ”Nena,”
- ALMA HERNANDEZ MORENO, a/k/a “Aunt”
- ANA YANCY CASTRO HERNANDEZ, a/k/a “Anay,”
- FABIAN CASTRO, a/k/a “Fabi,”
- SUNI SARAH SANCHEZ DELGADO
- OSVALDO SANCHEZ DELGADO, a/k/a “Lalo,” a/k/a “Lalito,”
- JOHN CHRISTOPHER GOOD
- ARACELY HEREDIA MARTINEZ, a/k/a “Donita,”
- ERIC BERINGER
- CHRISTOPHER THURLOW
- MAYRA P. JIMENEZ
- ASIY AD ETH JIMENEZ CASTELLON
- JOHN GLIDDEN
- JAIME GARCIA COTA, a/k/a “David,”
- LILLIAN AJIN